Friday, May 8, 2020

What if...?

In the midst of this pandemic, Noah and I, like many of you have been binge watching shows on Amazon.  One of our favorites is a show called Stinky and Dirty.  They solve problems by re-purposing garbage and asking "What if?" In last Sunday's sermon I asked several "What if" questions and wrestled with "How than shall we live?"  Here are the quick notes:

1.  What if this is the new normal?

Many of us have been trying to look back and get back to "normal," but as a recent NY Times article points out that looking to the S. Korean experience church services will not be returning to their past forms any time soon.  An example would be no singing of worship songs. 

How than shall we live?  We only need to look to John 13:34-35 for the answer.  Love.  If that is the case then we need to exhibit what I am calling "Compassionate, reasonable understanding."

Illustrations:

There are individuals living among us that are living in fear.  What is the loving thing to do?
Hint: Do not belittle them.

While our churches (FBC and Iglesia Fe) have not had any regular attenders be diagnosed with COVID.  Some have had extended family members (myself included) have pretty severe cases of COVID, but fortunately not die.  There are those living among us, however that have lost loved ones, including both parents within days of each other.  Again we need to ask "How should we then live?"
Hint: The loving thing and walk beside them.

2.  What if I am not learning what God wants me to out of this trial?

Hebrews 3 & 4 speaks to this.

The slow down has been good for me b/c I am resting more and not running at the pace I have been for years.  But last week I found myself reverting to old habits.  I do not want to fail to apply lessons that God is teaching me.

3.  What if this is the last days?

I do not believe the we are in the last days or the tribulation of the book of Revelation.  But this question is an important one and challenges us to think through the what if.

We should always live in Spiritual Preparedness.  With that in mind:

Ask yourself "Am I ready?"  Everyone needs to realize that what they do is not good enough we need a personal relationship with Jesus.

Make sure that your response to these times is Christian.  Ask yourself: "Am I trusting in my circumstances or God?  Leverage this time to search out idols in your life.

See Hebrews 13 for some insight into a Christian response.

Here is the link to the message:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5vQYxL8iuk&list=PLYSdk4DAv_anFhxfY0u-bVYvh0vcgJIqn&index=2&t=737s

Blessings,
PT

No comments:

Post a Comment